As I try to follow the lessons I have learned over the years and apply that wisdom to bettering my life, here is a list of ways I have found that bring out my best life:
- Treat your body extremely well. Exercise daily, at least 30 minutes. Eat healthy foods and in the right portions to my activity level. Get sleep. Stay hydrated.
- Think positive thoughts. Most of the bad stories and outcomes I have thought in my head have never happened. People I assumed didn’t like me, ended up being a good friend. Stop complaining, and try to find a solution instead. Live in the moment and don’t worry about the past or the future too much, what matters most, is right now. Practice Gratitude. Just stay positive!
- Continue to be a student. Learn new things. Just because school is over doesn’t mean it is time to stop learning. Sign up for a class you are interested in. Study another language (I have been using Duolingo for Spanish, it is FREE and I love it!). Commit to growth and what you can do to learn more and make you a better person.
- Travel whenever possible. I have had opportunities come up to travel, that I almost turned down, because it wasn’t a “good time” to take a vacation. I ended up going anyway and had the most awesome experiences. I say, if the opportunity arises, take it! Travel as much as possible while you still can. Travelling is the only thing you pay for that pays you back with experiences.
- Just be yourself. Some people will love you. Some people won’t like you… and that is none of your business. What is most important, is that you like who you are and are true to your self. Living a lie is exhausting and a waste of your time. Be you, do you.
- Take action. Quit being lazy, get off the couch and start living life. It is easy to get in the habit of coming home after work, pouring a glass of wine and sitting with a box of take out on the couch while watching mindless television. Although, I love a good relax session, I do not want to make a habit out of it!
- Set some goals and work towards them. Ask yourself if your actions are taking you closer to your goals or further away. If you continue to do things that take you further away from your goals, maybe reevaluate your goals. It is good to look at the big picture, but it is the small actions we do each day that add up to a finished result. Make a bucket list of all the things you would like to do in your lifetime, pick a couple items and work towards them.
- Appreciate the ones you love in your life. You never know when it will be the last time you talk or see each other. Say I love you and love with a full heart.
I find when I am focusing on these things, I am the most happy. I feel balance in my life and peace in my mind. I am finally learning to actually do the things that are good for me and make me the most happy. It isn’t always about the instant gratification, but accomplishing what is most important.